Recently I spoke to a pastor who’s discovered that his local culture isn’t yet engaging much in chat room conversations. People in his part of the world have a greater interest in observing or only having private chat room conversations where their comments aren’t public knowledge. No matter which part of the world you live in, whether you’re the content creator for a Facebook page (been there, done that – super fun!) or a volunteer in an online church (love doing that, too!), you want to be prepared with some questions to start conversations.
Here are a few to try:
- Is this your first time here?
- Do you agree with what’s being said in the message? (Why or why not?)
- How did you hear about our Facebook page/online church?
- Has that ever happened to you before? (referring to a quote, online message, or video on screen)
- If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?
- Can I pray for you?
- Do you have any questions about God? (Search the Bible by topic to provide answers.)
What have you asked people in a chat room or on a facebook page to get a conversation rolling?