We found out about 10 days ago that we’re moving in less than 2 weeks. Our family’s had an 8 day vacation planned in the middle of all this, there’s been a home to rent out, a house search in our next city, and movers to schedule. It’s a busy time, to say the least.
Any time important tasks demand additional time, it’s easy to shelve relationships until the rush passes. But when you’re moving, if you’re not careful you’ll miss out on what matters most.
It’s not easy, but there are creative ways you can honor your friends – and model appropriate closure for your children – by making time to say proper goodbyes. Here are specific plans we’ve made to spend time with loved ones while preparing to leave:
* Meet a friend for a run or walk to exercise, catch up, and get some fresh air all at once
* Join friends at the local frozen yogurt place for dessert and time to chat
* Plan a picnic at the park with friends so kids may play and parents can talk
* Host a simple BBQ for neighbor families
* Schedule an ice cream date for your kids and their favorite babysitter while you and your spouse have dinner with another couple
How else can you keep your precious relationships a priority with a move date creeping up quickly?